Instamapper replacement

Instamapper replacement

Postby David_Binks » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Just to keep everyone informed. I'm now investigating several possible replacements for the Instamapper service and have been pleasantly surprised at the number of solutions that have "appeared". I'm now confident that we will get one or more replacement systems in place well before Instamapper is turned off. When I have things a bit more firmed up I'll give you more details.

Dave.
David_Binks

Re: Instamapper replacement

Postby David_Binks » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Ok, it looks like the initial replacement for Instamapper will be based on Viewranger's buddy beacon system and should be ready before Instamapper closes down. If all goes to plan, each phone will have Viewrangers mapping application installed (many of you will already have this free App installed along with the 1:25000 maps). You then set up a Buddy beacon and, just like the Instamapper system, you setup a list of associations in the MRMap.ini file and away you go. The Viewranger App works on most smart phones including iPhones and Andriod.

Unfortunately because the Viewranger App currently leaves the GPS on all the time you are being tracked it is a little battery hungry, but they do have a solution for this, to be released soon, that substantially reduce battery drain. So be warned, we may have a battery issue for a little while.

Hopefully I will also be working with Viewranger to allow them to pick up our GPS radios positions and turn them into "buddy beacon" locations on the smart phones. This will then allow team members on the hill (with a phone signal) to see other team members location on the 1:25000 maps.

To get this all to work, you will have to install the latest release of MRMap (3.5a), which has not been released yet and setup your teams buddy beacons. Documentation for this will hopefully be released at the same time as MRMap 3.5a (thanks to Dave Healey, Cheshire SAR, although he doesn't know this yet!).

I will also be looking at using other phone tracking solutions, but these will be some way down the line.

Dave.
David_Binks

Re: Instamapper replacement

Postby David_Binks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Just thought I'd better mention that SARLOC is unaffected by any of these issues and will continue to run as normal.
Dave.
David_Binks

Return to Davids Blog